Recording studio

Two men shot dead in Midtown Manhattan home recording studio, drugs and cash found inside – New York Daily News

A late night shooting at a Manhattan recording studio left two men dead early Thursday, with cash and drugs recovered from the crime scene – exactly a year after a nearby shooting where no one was was hit, police said.

The armed killer and three accomplices arrived on the third floor of the W. 37th St. building near Ninth Ave. around 12:15 p.m., where an argument broke out before the shooter opened fire, police said.

Cops arrived to find one of the victims lying on the sidewalk outside with a bullet to the back and the second upstairs in the studio with a bullet to the head.

Rapper Kamir King, 34, died 30 minutes later at Bellevue Hospital from a head injury. The unidentified man died at the same hospital that police checked for any possible connection to a May 7, 2021 case where shots were fired just two blocks away in the Garment District.

“Part of this investigation is to review and determine if there is any connection to a prior shooting incident that occurred a year ago,” said Chief Salvatore Comodo, Chief of Patrol Borough Manhattan South. from the NYPD, Thursday morning. press conference.

There were about a dozen people in the studio when Thursday’s filming began, with friends and relatives saying the “soul drill” rapper King was likely recording before his violent death.

“He was quiet – he’s really into the music,” neighbor Sharnay Faison, 41, said, adding that King frequented the Nightlife Productions studio. “Everyone is stunned right now. … Her mother is an honest church lady. Her stepfather is a retired corrections officer.

“He was very good,” she continued. “He wasn’t in the streets running. I believe he was either in the wrong place at the wrong time or with the wrong people.

A 9mm. gun was found on the sidewalk near the other dying, along with 9-mm. and .22 caliber casings recovered from the scene, police said.

King’s aunt, Lauri Williams, told The News her whole family was devastated after the shocking murder.

“He was focused on his music,” she recalls. “His mother and brother were his first loves. The rest was his music. It was his life.

An assortment of drugs and cash were discovered in the studio when cops arrived, a law enforcement source said. Detectives executed a search warrant Thursday morning and were scanning the scene, NYPD Assistant Inspector Aaron Klein said.

King’s heartbroken mother traveled to New York to get more information from the police and arrange a funeral.

The daily news flash

The daily news flash

Days of the week

Find the five best stories of the day every afternoon of the week.

“I can’t talk right now, I’m getting on a plane,” the mum said grimly when reached by The News. “I’m on my way to meet my other child.”

King’s aunt said the family had no idea what triggered the fatal shooting.

“He’s never had any issues before,” Williams said of his nephew. “He was just a beautiful soul. He was a loving child and he was harmless.

The shooter and his accomplices fled in a white sedan and remain at large. Investigators suspect the unidentified victim belonged to the shooter’s team and was shot while fleeing the scene.

In November, three people were injured when two rival gangs opened fire on each other during a recording studio event on W. 38th St. near Sixth Ave., cops said.

About 100 people had gathered at a second-floor recording studio at a party for a record release when the shooting broke out, cops said.

NYPD officers, who suspected trouble, were posted nearby to keep watch and caught three of the suspects as they escaped the scene.